The heroines return

After many months away from home and traveling to the sunny west coast, Mary Lennox and Jane Eyre have finally returned home. The paintings, of course. Both of these paintings were featured in the current issue of Somerset Studio Magazine. This is always my favorite part of the process--- to have seen the art published and looking oddly 'official' in glossy print and then having them safely back home where their journey began.

I love love love seeing my creations in print, but the publishing business is not one of instant gratification. I think the deadline for submission with these particular pieces was February 15. So they've been gone for about 5 months. By the time you see the art in the pages, it feels sort of like a big surprise, because you've worked on so many other things in the meantime.

If you've never submitted your art to a publication like to Stampington magazines, I highly suggest you give it a try. All the magazines (Art Doll Quarterly, Stuft, Prims, Somerset Studio, Somerset Home, Somerset Memories, etc) always have submission 'challenges' which are the themes of upcoming issues. All you have to do is submit your art according to the guidelines and before the deadline, and then see if you get that thrilling little email saying 'your art has been selected...." Truly, what is there to loose? The only thing you'll be out is the cost of postage.

Having these paintings back remind me though that I need to reread these beloved classics. The Secret Garden and Jane Eyre are some of my favorite books of all time. The theme I submitted them under was "literary classics." it just seemed too perfect to pass up.

And now, more painting to get finished! I'll leave you til next time....
~H

5 comments

  1. These are fabulous Heather! Isn't it fun getting published? I remember when I saw my belt buckle on the back cover Of Holidays and Celebrations...I was so excited!

    Stay nice and cool!

    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Heather! You definitely should submit more of your artworks!
    Do they accept paintings from worldwide too? x

    sydsense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would imagine that they take art from everywhere, I've never seen a stipulation that it be US only. Look at the website and you'll find the list of their upcoming challenge themes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well they are the sweetest paintings, so ofcourse they were featured xoxo Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thrilled that your work was published. And thank you for providing the inspiration and courage to us to give this a hand. I've been tempted - but haven't done so yet. Maybe I will give it a try... :)

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top