*Pretty Gray Things*

January can be a pale and dreary month after the intense colors of Christmas. But gray doesn't have to boring or plain. I've been admiring some very pretty gray things as of late, like a new vintage photo and lovely gray knitting project.

The other day I was surprised by a package in the mail and received this most gorgeous of gorgeous old photos from my friend (and jewelry making genius) Katinka Pinka. I had seen a glimpse of it in a photo she posted of her booth at Max's Haus in New Braunfuls, TX. She was kind enough to send it to me, and I love love love it. It looks to be a pair of children's confirmation photo. Their last names aren't the same, so I wonder if perhaps they were cousins. I love her dress, don't you? And their tiny ornate Bibles and rosaries. I think their candles have been 'enhanced' to look as it they're glowing. Pre-Photoshop, people!

I've also been working on that dreamy gray yarn I purchased at Shepherd's Cross last month. it's soft and easy to knit, and I decided to try out the seed stitch after seeing a really simple explanation for it on Katie Elliot's blog. She also made a seed stitch scarf, and so I thought it would be a perfect way to get that stitch down pat. As you can see from the little ball of yarn, I'm almost done!

Well, I need to get ready to start the day. I'm in the mood for french onion soup tonight. The temperatures are finally falling from their deceptively spring-like warmth and perhaps winter will truly be on it's way soon. Will we see snow this year? Who knows! I did buy a snow shovel and a karosene lamp...which should guarantee we have the warmest winter on record ;)

Til next time....
~H

8 comments

  1. I absolutely love the antique photo too! Their shoes are my favorite part. I added a couple of photos to my collection last week and I'm having a fun time finding places for all my little people in my new home. Thanks for sharing! I think I might blog about my photos soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful photo~
    love her dress & shoes,Don't you wonder about old photos~ do they still have family~ why did the photos get inot other hands? Did someone need money, not care about family history, or just got lost~ Oh, but us that admire them, makes it so interesting~
    enjoy the day
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVELY photo and knitting, and I LOVE grey too! Such a wonderful January post Heather.....by the way, I posted about Yorkshire with photos on my blog yesterday!
    Karen
    XXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather--thank you for sharing this wonderful photo--sometimes I wonder if I was there in a former life--I'm so attracted to these Victorian photos.......but I like where I'm living now
    :)
    And the knitting--ahh--perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i always love yarn in gray shades~it always goes with everything and looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this photo is amazing - and the knitting is something I've been wanting to do so badly. WOW! And I seem to remember hearing/seeing something about ice skates... Your January isn't lacking, that's for sure:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually really love gray--even gray weather! The photograph is so sweet and congrats on your scarf. Looks like it will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings! I am wandering over from Laura Frantz's blog- I was curious about your art she had mentioned and glad I came over! I love your work! I think I may have seen your Etsy store at some point before! And, I KNOW I have seen your work in Artful Blogging because I have the recent issue and I LOVE that magazine, and all the other ones they have! You have such a talent- it is so fun to see your paintings! I see you are one Pinterest! I am too and will add your name to follow! HEHE! I love going there but try not to so much because I get sucked in!! IT's addicting! I love your "gray" post. My sister in law (you can see her blog button on MY blog, on the right hand side) loves "gray" and she has a sweet blog but doesn't do much with it right now. I think I remember her having a post about gray paint awhile back. Again, love your work! It's very inspiring. I'm a "dreaming to be published" writer, but I could sooo see one of your paintings as my most recent heroine...if I were rich I'd commission you! HA! Thanks for sharing your loveliness! ~AMY

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top