A Birthday in Oz

Well, this weekend my Little Miss turned five and we celebrated in Wizard of Oz style. It was a rather handmade affair, and when the bakery couldn't find the Wizard of Oz characters to go on the cake I'd wanted to order, I just decided to bake a few treats (some 'yellow brick road' lemon bars and brownies) and have an ice cream sundae bar for the kids (and adults!) and everyone seemed quite content!

I used an old vintage table cloth with "poppy-like" flowers on it and a few of my Nicol Sayre halloween witch dolls and some flowers for decorations. I ended up being pretty pleased with the little gift bags I dreamed up. I got the red lunch bags at Target for about $2 for a stack and tied them with ribbon through punched holes made from pieces of fabric left over from the Dorothy skirt I made Audrey. Inside there was a giant lollipop, a magic wand, some Wizard of Oz rings I ordered off of Amazon and flower seed packs of poppies. The illustration on the bag I found online, printed with photo paper and glued on the bags. Voila! Wizard of Oz in a bag!~

I'm always of the mind that I can do a lot of these little party things myself to cut costs, but it still is a bit daunting to get every last thing bought, made, and remembered. But we had it done and it was fun and I'm glad that we have a whole year to worry about it again :)

And now that she's 5, my Audrey is quite the big kid. She was supposed to be a St.Patrick's Day baby, but came a week early, much to my surprise. I always tell her that her birthday brings the flowers, and its true; things are getting all bloomy and waking up from winter now. If you squint and don't realize you're looking at weeds, even the lawns are starting to green up! I can't wait for the lush abundance of spring. Every season has it's charm, but there's a special relief to seeing springtime again.

Well, I need to get a little painting done so I will go for now!~ Hope your week is starting on a good foot-
~H

19 comments

  1. Those treat sacks are ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Audrey! And congratulations to you Heather for giving her such a wonderful party.

    Early spring babies are a delight, aren't they?

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. the treat bags looks so cute!
    happy birthday wishes to audrey :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun day was had by all. Glad little miss Audrey had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous birthday celebration for your girl! I just love the homemade style with great treats and adorable party favor bags! Indeed it looks like a very special celebration! Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday Audrey!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh those bags are so cute and a sundae bar sounds as divine as the lemon bards and brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Ruth!~ I have to pass the time somehow now that Downton Abbey is over, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Stephanie! I do like spring babies :) You get to be big and fat in the winter when all you can wear for shoes is snow boots and have a built-in heater, and then when the weather gets warm you have your little one to go out and about with! Its perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Theresa, yes, we did have a good time! I was exhausted by the end ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Winnie! I love homemade parties myself :)I think she had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Jeanette! I thought the sundae bar was pretty genius myself, lol!~

    ReplyDelete
  12. the illustration on your bags is perfect for such a cozy celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY Miss Audrey!
    Wow FIVE!!

    GREAT Birthaday ideas!!
    And now the voice of the witch saying "Poppies poppies pop....pieeeees" is stuck in my head!!!

    I was a St Patties baby!! And so is my Mom! My Irish Dad was thrilled to have his St Patty's day girls!

    Blessings and Hugs, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday to Audrey, it looks like a lovely party. Love the sound of yellow brick road lemon bars. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday to Audrey. The party sounds wonderful and you made some lovely themed things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a fun party! I love the gift bags.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, I had so much to catch up on here!

    Happy Birthday to Audrey. The party bags were inspired!

    Feeling foggy ... funnily enough I posted about something similar just the other day, and a couple of folk have commented they've felt the same way. I'm beginning to think the weeks of weird winter weather have affected a lot of us ... the seasons aren't quite in kilter and so neither are we. Hope the sun comes out to lift your fog :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like the perfect party, Those treat bags are VERY cute and now I am hungry for lemon bars! :)

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top