Tasha Tuesday

Photo by Richard Brown

Hello there my friends,
Well it is a very windy but very sunny Tasha Tuesday out here in Oklahoma. The wind has been howling all night and its still sweeping through this morning. After some errands and a walk (or a battering by the wind, whichever it turns out to be) my plans for the day including settling down with some new fabric and my sewing machine and making up a little dress for Audrey. I've already sewn up 3 skirts, but I love those old fashioned apron dresses, and wanted to make her one for her birthday this weekend.

I don't know about you but I love little old fashioned dresses, especially for little girls. When I was a little girl, I had what we called an 'India dress' which was made of light white cotton and extremely embroidered, much like little girls would have worn at the turn of the century. How I loved that dress. How I wish I still had one! Maybe they'll come back into fashion?

I know that one of the many things I love about Tasha Tudor was her love for old fashioned dress and her use of them in her every day wardrobe. She also used the old dresses as inspiration for many of her paintings, something I love as well.

I love all the little details of old fashioned dresses, the simple color, the tiny embroidery and lace and eyelets. I'm determined to sew more than I did last year, and maybe bravely try to make some items for myself. I wish I had an expert seamstress just lying about, but it will have to be a terrific feat of trial and error for me to get some things made. But I do, ever so slowly. No matter if I ruin fabric with a rogue dryer sheet, or forget to follow the directs and do it all wrong. Slowly, I hope I can learn!

I hope you have something fun and creative planned for this day! And my heart is with those who have been so terribly effected by the early spring storms.

Til next time,
~H

15 comments

  1. Hey, I have a friend that is a fantastic sewer. She lives in BA. Let me know if you need her! <3
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love Tasha's use of historical clothing and the way she would let visiting girls dress up in her beautiful collection and them paint them. That would be divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had stacks of embroidered peasant dresses from Mexico when I was growing up. There was a store (alas no longer there) in the Mayfair shopping center in Oklahoma City that imported them.

    Oh my goodness, the wind has been insane. I'm relieved we don't have any tree branches through windows or the roof after the wind we had last night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Tasha and I LOVE your paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful, you are starting to sew... it is so much fun to put a garment together for yourself :)

    m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip, Eileen! I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kellie-- Me too! I so wish I could have gone and played dress up there. Wouldnt that be so fun? She has inspired me to sew :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauren, I love mexican embroidered tops and dresses! They are so perfect for summer. SO glad you didnt get blown away by these winds, its crazy! We really need some rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so very much Robin's Egg Bleu!~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Maria! Its still intimidating now, I cant wait to have some confidence when it comes to sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Photographer Richard Brown did such a fantastic job of bringing Tasha's dedication to a lifestyle from the 1800s to all of us who first met her through her children's books. I especially find her use of aprons, as part of her daily attire, both charming and still practical in 2012! Good luck with your sewing projects. My Mom always told me that sewing just takes practice and the more you practice, the easier it will be. Good Luck and post pictures of your finished product!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to see little girls in proper little girl dresses. Eleanor had some gorgeous dresses when she was little, but as they get older they develop their own ideas, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those kind of dresses, too. When I was a teenage Gunne Sax dresses were hugely popular. I was so happy to own one. They looked so quaint and old fashioned. You see them all over now in vintage shops on etsy and elsewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adorable little outfit! I think little girls SHOULD be dressed in old fashiony lace and crochet and embroidery. It's so precious! I think, if I ever have a little girl of my own

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you ever found a picture of the young Tasha?I bet she was beautiful look at her cheek bones and gentle smile.

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top