Tasha Tuesday




Americans have a complicated relationship with tea. Chalk it up to our turbulent beginnings, when we dumped it all in the harbor. It would be a little hard to embrace the tea service after such an act of defiance as that-- we stuck to coffee after that, and as if in supreme defiance, in the south we like ours iced.

Tasha Tudor, however, was an American who fully embraced the ritual of tea time. She was quite famous for it, and it was always a surpreme honor for people to be asked to tea with Tasha. I'm not sure if she was in this habit out of old-school Boston breeding (surely in Boston they'd be the most sensitive to tea!) or if it was just another one of those quirky things from the past that she picked up and made her own.

At any rate, I've always liked the idea of tea time and have been slowly dipping my toe into developing my own hot tea obsession. I drink it off and no, going through phases, and I'm deep in the midst of a chai tea episode at the moment. I tried it with a bit of milk and it was good, then I tried it with coffee creamer and oh. Goodness. So good.

There is something simple and satisfying about putting the kettle on. Especially when its a red kettle like the one I recently acquired. I do love red, and this kettle is so nice. Very sturdy and easy on the eyes.

How about you? Are you fond of tea? Or are you squarely American (if you are American, we're rather international around here!) and stick to coffee? What's your favorite flavor? And do you have any tricks of the tea drinker's trade? I'd love to hear them :)

Well, just me and the pups today! Time to paint!~
~H


14 comments

  1. I'm Canadian, my family is from Scotland, tea for us is Red Rose loose tea, always, and its very hard to find so we buy in bulk.Tea as a meal was always at 3 in our house and mine as well.We sat down for tea at 3, cake cookies and tea, maybe a sandwich for my Dad or Grandfather, I still have tea at 3 but just a small snack, we have supper at 6 .I drink tea in the morning as well, we also drank herbal teas growing up and now but more for medicinal reasons that enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's how I start my day, everyday! Hot black tea with a hint of sugar and a spot of milk! Perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loose black tea, in a tea pot, with sugar and a bit of milk or cream.

    This obsession is fairly new to me as well. I found out I'm either allergic to coffee after all these years of drinking it, or am just having bad reactions to the caffeine.

    Black tea with sugar and crushed mint leaves? Also divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie,
    Now that is fascinating! I've never heard of Red Rose tea! Where do you get it from? How lovely to have that tradition in your family that you still honor :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Briana, that sounds good! And caffeine free for you too now these days, right? hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious, Beth! I'll have to try it with mint, that's a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up in a coffee and tea house, coffee for my mom with a touch of milk and tea (usually red rose black tea) for my dad with a ton of honey. I gave up caffeine about a month ago, it makes me all jittery, but I was craving chai this morning so here I sit with my Biggelow vanilla chai I like it with honey and half and half...Yum!
    Oh, and decaf green tea with lemon in the morning. Yay for tea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun post!!! :) I must say that I am a big fan of coffee. I do like tea, but I have to be in the right mood. I adore chai - that is by far my favorite. My hubby is a major tea fan. He drinks all kinds of loose leaf teas. Another tea I like is matcha green tea - it's powdered. I use it for green tea cupcakes, muffins and quick breads. Not only is the bread a lovely shade of green, but it's quite tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love tea but have never created the routine of drinking hot tea except on occasion. My first love is coffee( I drink decaf)and that is my go to beverage in the morning, afternoon or evening when I want something hot. Lately, I have been trying to cultivate a tea preference at work since the coffee there is horrible. It sort of works but just does not catch on. Maybe I am just a creature of routine??? Or maybe just not an Anglophile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love red tea, white tea and green tea, preferably without seasoning. And I love the expression "Tasha tuesday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love hot teas! I'm in south Texas, so when it's too hot, I go with iced, but if the morning is cool, I'll have a cup of hot tea. :)

    You can decaffeinate any tea by steeping it in hot water for 30 seconds (then move it into your teacup to steep for your tea). :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My parents are both tea drinkers, so I still have tea every afternoon between 4 and 5. I mostly drink PG Tips and add some milk and even a bit of honey when I feel like it. I love chai, too! I usually make a chai latte with about 1 1/2 cups of tea and another 1/2 cup of warm whole milk. I add honey to it, as well. I also love camomile tea and mint tea. (And camomile and spearmint together!)

    My dad's family was already in America before the Revolution, but they were loyalists, so I imagine they didn't do any tea dumping!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm an American who moved to England recently and so your subject of tea brought a smile to my face. I've never liked coffee, and always been a big tea lover. My new husband however, who is British, prefers coffee to tea, lol. When we go out to a restaurant they almost always assume I want coffee because I'm American so they giggle when I say that I'll have the tea and he will have the coffee, lol.

    It's also quite strange because the word tea here in England has several meanings. It's a drink, a meal, a snack, and sort of a time of day, lol. Great post, and I look forward to seeing more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love tea, i have at least 4 cups of tea a day and of course it is always hot with milk and no sugar. But then again i am British and it's what the British do best. I'm sure Tasha would be very proud of you :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top