On a Wednesday



   Good morning! It's a nice warm and sunny one here on the plains, and I've already been out to buy tomato cages. I'm cautiously optimistic about this year's garden. Most of what I'm growing is tomatoes, peppers and herbs. Oh, and some flying saucer gourds because...well, they sounded cool ;) and like something a 5 year old would be excited about harvesting! So those will be Audrey's. 


   Enjoyed a nice little Swedish breakfast this morning with some Lingonberry preserves that I got in Lindsborg and thought I'd show off Audrey's little dala horse with her name painted on it. They make these cute little hand painted wooden horses in-house at Hemslojd-- Audrey absolutely loved it and it was her favorite thing she got while we were there in town.


   Also, I have been deep in the novels of Kate Morton and got the last available book of hers yesterday. I can't wait to get lost in The House at Riverton, but dread coming to the end! I finished up The Distant Hours last week and I tried to make it last, but it's difficult. They're just too good! I've heard she has a new one coming out in October, so I know I'll have to find some other good books to bide my time. I've read some reviews of Susanna Kearsley online, and her work sounds similar and equally old-timey so I'm thinking I might try her next. Have any of you read her novels? What did you think? Or do you have any book recommendations for me?


   Well, time to get a little painting done! Thanks for coming to visit me today :) Always nice to have you stop by....~
~H

10 comments

  1. Marianna and The Rose Garden as well as The Winter Sea are three fantastic books.I also enjoyed A Cottage by the Sea by Ciji Ware and A Race To Splendor.

    The Violets of March by Sarah Jio is also a really good book.A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff and The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott.

    Love,love,love to read and Kate Morton is a fantastic writer I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to try the Lingonberry crepes at IHOP ;) I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Lindsborg, I have driven thru but never stopped to enjoy the town. Book suggestions? Anything by Tracy Chevalier or Sandra Dallas, read them all!! Sandra Dallas has great old-timey stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't help but notice the strawberry pincushion in the book pic ... it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any book where you dread coming to the end is worth a try, I will have to check out that author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate Morton is new to me but I must add her to my summer reading list. Lingonberry preserves look delicious! What are they similar to in taste? Cranberries? Cherries? Sometimes I have seen them in specialty kitchen stores so maybe I should give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello sweet you! how wonderful to see lingonberry here at your table. you know, my husbands sister ( who lives in Dallas), her last husband really loooved lingonberry so so much that he wanted to eat it all the time when he was here. We eat it in the mornings to oatmeal porridge and milk.. every morning :)
    so happy to read your mail about the wheather and nature and animals there. writing to you soon!!!

    love Lycke

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize there were already 2 more Kate Morton books. I borrowed the first one from my mom; I'll have to ask her if she has the other two. Why buy when you can borrow? :-) Have you read Wilkie Collins? The first Kate Morton book reminded me a bit of Armadale.

    When we were in Lindsborg, I was really focused on Christmas shopping, so I didn't buy much for myself. Now I wish I'd gotten my own dala horse. I really wanted one of the enormous ones, but I wasn't prepared to pay hundreds of dollars! Maybe I can pick up a baby one sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always see the Kate Morton books at the book shop and the covers look so delicious. I am guessing I should dive into them yes? They will definitely have to go on my list.

    I am reading one called "The Haunting of Maddy Clare" by Simone St. James right now. I think you'd really like it. It's set in 1920's England and is about a haunting at an estate, by a serving maid who killed herself.

    Do you like Gosford Park? That's one of my favourite movies and I feel like it's right up your alley as well.

    I always love popping in to see the beautiful things you are up to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I have a recommendation for a book that I think you would love, love, love. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It´s the most beautiful book I have ever read. It´s truly breathtaking. I have read all those Kate Morton books- they are so enjoyable...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Heather,
    I too have read some Kate Morton books the House at Riverton being my favourite but my all time favourite author has to be Diana Gabaldon with her Outlander series, if you want to read a historical romance with some action and lots of true facts this is the story for you, set in Scotland, england and north carolina it's excellent! and also features a scottish red headed hunk in a kilt who i have fallen head over heels in love with (much to Ashleys despair! ;) but he bought me the books to begin with so really its his fault im hooked. They are the best books ive ever read and trust me ive read a load of books! off to re read from the beginning ;) hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top