Hello


  Just look at those faces. These are my spot warmers....a few days ago we were having a Fact or Faked marathon. These dogs really love sci-fi ;) 


  It's been a little quiet around here, so I thought I'd better pop in and say "hello, I'm still here!" It's just ended up being a busy week, with no much painting getting done. Recitals, VBS, first piano lessons, art show things....lots to do. And to top it off I've just been in a bit of a rut. It happens. I know this, and I know it ends, but its still an uncomfortable place to be.


   I've been wishing a lot lately that I had a mentor. Some guidance. I love working for myself and doing what I want to do, but sometimes it's difficult when you are 100% of the business. Everything is on your shoulders, and sometimes I just don't know if I've pointed myself in the right direction. Sometimes you just wish there was someone up on the path ahead of you going "you can do this! Just a few more steps! You're doing great!"


  This evening I went to the venue where the RAW art show Solstice will be held to do a walk through and decide on my location. Things like this can make me feel incredibly shy, but I was relieved to see a familiar face or two in the other exhibitors. I think this is going to be a really amazing show, like nothing I've participated in so far. I still have lots of tickets I need to sell, so sign on up and be my guest! 


  Anyhow...I hope to have some beautiful things to show you soon. Hope you are well!~
~h

7 comments

  1. such cute faces! i like that show too ;)

    i understand about the business -it is sometimes hard when it's all 'you'.
    good luck at RAW, i hope you do well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather-- Are you close to any academic programs where you could audit a class in the upper division or graduate program? Maybe being in a community of other learners would be helpful for a semester? There are schools too like The School of the Arts in Winston-Salem and something similar in Baltimore. Surely, there is such a program out in your states where maybe they do weekend seminars or artist retreats or something like that? With it being summer, maybe if you dig around the academic communities you will find a summer offering that would be affordable and also reasonably close. I think we all feel like we hit that plateau and need a push or help with finding the compass again. We all love what you do but you as an artist need to keep the inspiration alive. Perhaps you will be able to network with some other artists at RAW and find a group or event to join. I say keep your ears and eyes open, ask around, and put it out there in conversation that you are looking for some mentoring. Shyness be gone and cast that net out there!! Good Luck and keep us posted-- we're cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Andrea,
    You're right, it is hard when it's all 'you.' All the good decisions and all the bad decisions, all yours to make! And thanks for the good luck wishes, I think it will be a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winnie,
    Thanks so much for your support! I'm definitely going to look into some new things, a retreat or a class or something like that. I appreciate your suggestions and belief in me!~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather,

    I totally understand! I am a mother and student and I wish to do more drawing and painting this summer, but with kids and my classes, I don't even finish one drawing yet, though I know that it is my chance make a portfolio, since I will have too many classes next autumn. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your furry babies are just so darn cute! I want to cradle those faces and scratch their little heads. So cute! I've been a bit absent, too. Just now returning. Sometimes I wish I had a mentor, as well. Never know if I'm headed in the right direction. Well, just go with your gut... Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No kidding on the guidance. I had a rough May/June and kept thinking "where am I going with all of this?!" I haven't quite figured it all out, but I did attend a writers' meeting and that made me feel a little better. Sometimes it helps to be reminded that even though we work by ourselves there are other people out there doing the same thing. Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top