Tasha Tuesday: Becky's Christmas


    If there was ever a Christmas balm for the heart, a pretty and old fashioned story to nestle into and loose yourself in, It's Tasha Tudor's book "Becky's Christmas."
   Becky's Christmas is featured in the Tasha Tudor Christmas-themed special "Take Peace", and since hearing the excerpts and seeing the pictures there, I've wanted a copy of the book. The only problem was, it's out of print and costs a pretty penny. However, some times you can find reasonably priced used copies on Amazon, and that is finally what happened ($15!) It's a Christmas miracle!


     "Becky's Christmas" follows a little girl named Becky as she prepares for Christmas-- secretly making presents for her family, going out to the snowy forest to collect greenery for decorating the old farm house, making a creche in the fire place, baking cookies with her family, and the general anticipation of the holiday in a very sweet and simplistic way.

   You know Becky's never been to Toys 'R Us or the mall. And you love her for it.



   This story is of a pretty good length, just shy of being a chapter book. There's a lot of text and a lot of detail in the story, which I love, but which might also be a little long for young readers. For a little one like mine, who is a kindergartener, it might be a story you'd want to break up to read for two or three nights. But for an older child, who is mastering longer stories, I think this will be a real treasure. I know I would have loved it when I was about 8 or 9.


   "Becky's Christmas" is, quite simply, some of Tasha's finest work. The story is rich in detail and simple excitement. There's not a lot of gushing or fluff, but it's easy to feel Becky's anticipation, her excitement at mastering new things so she can create gifts for her family, her joy in being part of her family and the simple happiness of the holiday.
   If you are in search of simple ways to celebrate Christmas, I think this book would be a wonderful addition to your evening reading! Definitely a book to cherish and come back to year after year~


A happy Tasha Tuesday to you~
~H



11 comments

  1. Why do they take the loveliest things out of print!? Thank you for sharing this story and the pictures! Seems like something I would have loved as a little girl as well. And now of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one story that I never read but I think I need too! Tasha's Christmas drawings fill me with calm as they came from a time when the pace of Christmas was not rushed and over powered by commercial interests like shopping craze and buying just to be buying. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful. I tried to get this from our library last week, only to learn it was categorized as "Decorative Arts" and "In Library Use Only." Poo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that looks scrumptious! Must somehow track down a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My library had it and I got it and I read it and I loved it and I want to own it and....I didn't read it to Julia simply because it is SO SPECIAL that I didn't want to waste it before she's ready for it, I wanted her to be able to appreciate this one. I think I'm going to see if I can get lucky like you did and scoop this one up and read it with her next year. WHY has such a treasure not been reprinted?

    It is lovely lovely lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have not yet read it either but will definitely keep an eye out for it.
    have a super day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this one. It looks like an absolutely lovely book. I'll have to keep an eye out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Argh--my internet is acting all funny. The post I deleted was just a duplicate of the previous one. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful book- it's not a title I'm familiar with, I don't think Tasha Tudor's books are much known in the UK - and yes, a lucky bargain.

    Happy Christmas Heather, to you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of the books that I am missing...I have been trolling amazon and ebay for reasonably priced copies...Tasha really knows how to celebrate the holiday! Those illustrations - like all her work - is so charming!

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top