Tasha Tuesday


    I've been thinking a lot lately about bravery. About how brave it is to "live the life you have imagined." Because it can be a scary decision. Perhaps it's just my particular personality, but I can waiver on things, painstakingly weighing the pros and cons. I can want something with my whole heart, but then shy away and think, "can I really do this?" or "Can we afford to do this?" or "What if it doesn't work out like I envision..."

   Every day we are confronted with little chances to being brave. You either take it or leave it. And it is an intense thing to come up against. But it can be so exciting.

   Tasha Tudor-- her life and her work--- is a story of constantly being brave. From being a young woman with a folder full of little illustrations hoofing it from building to building and rejection after rejection in New York City, to being a woman who took the reigns of her career and made her life into her complete vision-- Tasha had gumption.

   Lately I've been wrestling with my own gumption, so Tasha is inspiring me in that realm right now. Because I have a feeling I know what her answer would be, when asked if someone asked whether they should follow their dreams or passionately. "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you have imagined."


5 comments

  1. If you don't try, you can't fail, but you also can't move forward! I know what you mean, though. It can be terrifying to stop making excuses for going for what you want. Paul and I really want to move after he gets finished with his current project, but of course, looking for a new job and moving somewhere more expensive is scary. I also feel really insecure about my blog a lot, too. For me, this year is all about getting out there and not putting off what I want to do. Best of luck to you with all your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post could not be more timely nor ring more true!
    I hummed and hawed for a long time about drawing out a storyline I've had in my head for awhile now. Today I asked a children's book author what type of pencil she used as I was using the same illustration technique (its what I have on hand)...I was so overjoyed when she replied that she used a regular mechanical pencil with .05 lead I just about burst!
    Its scary jumping in with both feet....but the waters only cold for the first few ;)

    So jump on in, the waters fine!!!
    (She said shivering!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree...i tend to weigh pros and cons and think about things a lot too, but how does the saying go? you can't succeed unless you try~~
    have a super week heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather , I believe what you mention here rings true through the decades and across all cultures. Navigating our dreams against some harsh realities of our lives is the stuff of defeat, hardship, loss, and frustration. But like Tasha Tudor, if we accept those missteps as the only reality, then we don't experience the success and happiness of hardship won over. But the road can be full of pot holes and we can get weary of pulling out of the ruts. In my life, it has been friends and family that have pulled me along when I seemed most out of inspiration. I am wondering if Tasha found energy by surrounding herself in the beautiful things of ordinary life: fresh goat milk, beloved corgis, handwoven linen to make clothing, hand spun yarn for knitting warm clothing, and gardens teaming with flowers and fresh things to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful and oh so true. It's important to be brave and to go after your dreams. Thanks for this post, Heather.

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top