Original Painting: Bedtime Story


   Last night I put the finishing touches on this painting, "Bedtime Story". I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out! I know I paint a lot of 'mother and child' paintings, and I thought it was about time to highlight the dads in folk art.
   Around here, Daddy is in charge of bedtime reading. It's his chance to get some daily quality time with the little miss after a long day of work. It's amazing now to see them together with her just on the cusp of being able to read the stories herself. I think one of the best things I've done for my daughter as a mother is to give her a great dad!



   There is a lot going on in this painting, many 'scenes within scenes' and lots of pattern. I know many like clean lines and start simplicity but alas, I don't seem to have a stark or simple bone in my body ;) I love a room and a scene that is busy with life and color-- cozy! And not too perfect to disturb. 
   One of the themes in this painting, aside from the familial one (but it sort of dovetails with that) is the concept of the divine and the ordinary.
   Icons share a wall with family photos. Nature peeks in to the domestic. Coffee cups sit beneath a candle lit in prayer. The mundane compliments the sacred, and the sacred compliments the mundane.


   I also like seeing how people's faith subtly inhabits their every day life. I paint a lot of Christian themes and relics in my paintings, mostly because that is what I know and can relate to most easily.
   But I am always curious about other people's faiths, and I love learning about other cultures and traditions. I think it's a shame when people refuse to listen to other points of view or faith concepts for fear that it means they are giving up their own beliefs. I've always found myself experiencing the opposite when learning about others. 
   Many times I can see recurring themes in other cultures or faiths that I can relate to, or points of contrast that only deepen my own beliefs. 
   I guess when it comes down to it, I love learning about different ways that people find joy and hope in the world. That's my mark of good faith. The good that it creates.

   And so....out of all these jumbled thoughts, scrambled in my folk art brain and mixed with family and a love of reading, this painting is what has been created. It was also the first time I painted a rag rug-- and I painted two! I'm pleased with how they turned out! :D

   Well, it is time for me to start the day. Lots to do and errands to run. If you like this painting and would like to give it a good home, it is now currently for sale in my etsy shop! Why don't you stop in and take a look?

Til next time,
~H

14 comments

  1. This second family painting turned out just as lovely as the first! The many stories being told simultaneously is part of what appeals to me the most. Plus the colors are so vibrant and cozy all at the same time.
    Getting Dads involved in child care is so important for both sides! Dads just offer a whole different perspective on life and we all benefit from different perspectives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one. The layers in the story are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! And, I agree, there doesn't seem to be much for those great dads! bravo to you! I love the scenes w/in scenes and your great open mind about religions. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is wonderful! i love the busy-ness and the scene within a scene :)
    great dads are the best gift!

    happy easter to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...this feels like my home (except we have 2 kids)! ♥ Such a warm painting, full of love. Beautiful work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just catching up here Heather (I seem to be catching up everywhere at the moment, I'm behind with *everything*), anyway, just to say, I love this painting. And though the image may be busy the message is a simple one, and no less special for that. You have a wonderful talent :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does not surprise me in the least how quickly this sold. The details in this piece are simply amazing! The mother and infant in the back bedroom, the little oil lamp, family portraits, and the trees outside in the starry night. WOW!!!! Simply amazing, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will sell prints of the original painting?

      Delete
    2. YES-- I have ordered the prints today! Should have them next week!

      Delete
  8. As usual I love all your work. I am loving the Russian feel in your paintings xox Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather!! I love love love this one!!! I am Mary, Wendy Braun's (goodbooksforyoungsouls) daughter. We
    LOVE your work and your blog. This painting is so earthly and heavenly at the same time. Exceptional!!! With the icon on the wall and the dad reading a bedtime story it reminds me of my childhood home with my mom, dad, older and younger brother, and me. Except my dad has always been beardless. :) beautiful beautiful!!! Thanks for doing what you do. Hope you are enjoying your Bright Week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mary!~! I appreciate that! And I'm so glad you and your sweet mom like the painting. I tend to paint bearded guys-- most of the guys in my family are bearded!
      Hope you have a great week as well, thanks for your visit!~

      Delete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top