I've been trying to get settled into a routine here, which is hard with all there is still to do, and it just in general being summer, a time of no routines. We've been waking up for early morning swimming lessons and there always seems to be something to clean up or organize (which can be categorized under 'things I'm sick to death of")
   I have started back to painting though, and I bought material for Halloween witchy dolls-- Audrey requested, "don't make them cute, make them wicked!" Do you agree? :)
   I've been trying to find some time to take it easy though, and enjoy some quiet time in the house with all its lovely details, like all the original door knobs! This one to our room is one of my favorites (I have never lived anywhere where I had an opinion on the door knobs!)
   I've also been working on some knitting in my down time-- some baby knitting of course. So far, this pregnancy has been laid back and relaxed and I'm thankful for it. Basically, all I want to do is eat and nap ;)

   Something else I've been enjoying is the book Stillmeadow Sampler by Gladys Taber which I happened across in the library looking up books about New England. This book talks about her life in her 1690s New England home through the seasons, and I'm only on spring and I love it. Its all just rambling and quiet stories, about the old house, history, children and raising spaniels-- all of which you know are right up my alley!
   Evidently she wrote a lot of books inspired by her home Stillmeadow and I'm definitely going to check them out! She really reminds me of Tasha Tudor in many ways--- although I think she was more embracing of modern things ;) She was a bit older than Tasha, so I wonder if Tasha read her books or articles? That would be so interesting, wouldnt it?

   Well, off to get some chores done and then reward myself with some painting....
~H

15 comments

  1. Oh kitten! That is darling! Your new home looks like it has character. Something I much like! Yes details like doorknobs are so nice to look at and enjoy. I scoff at these modern cloned features in homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so lucky to live among such old and pretty details, for sure!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see the witches! I just love Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that cute kitten!! Look at his mischievous self getting into your painting stuff!! Hmmmm, that painting looks so intriguing!! I cannot wait to see how it all unfolds!!! And some witches for Halloween? Yes!! It is time to get started as we are already in mid June and Halloween decorations are in full swing in just 3 more months. It is wonderful to have an old home with so many lovely details from the past. Hahahaha! I love your category of "things I am sick to death of!"""" I need to start a separate list myself because I have plenty that fits on such a list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when you say it like that, it seems halloween will be here before we know it! And apple season will be here in a blink! yes, the painting is unfolding nicely...sure hope you love it!!

      Delete
  4. Oh what excitement around your parts! A happy hearty congratulations on the new home, such a sweet kitten, a new baby on the way, amazing doorknobs, and the joy you'll have exploring the world of Gladys Taber!!! A fun little write up on her can be found on an old blog post of another delightful woman, Susan Branch. Enjoy it all!!!

    http://www.susanbranch.com/gladys-taber-fan-club/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Natalie Jo! And thanks for that link too, love to find kindred spirits!~

      Delete
  5. We are moving at the end of July and a few things I'm going to miss about this old house are the glass door knobs, the original 1920's light fixtures and the hardwood floors...so sad to leave. But here's to new beginnings! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. best of luck with your move, Kelsey! I'm sure you'll fall in love and find the charm in your new place!

      Delete
  6. What a nice picture of your paint palette and work in-progress! ♥ I didn't realize you painted ON black. Beautiful. And the kitten about to knock your rinse water over....SO cute. Do you ever read Alicia Paulsen's blog? http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/posie_gets_cozy/ Same kind of charm as your!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha-- I love Alicia's blog! What a sweet comment, thank you! :D

      Delete
  7. Heather, I love that picture of the Stillmeadow Sampler resting on your lovely table :) Such a pretty shot!
    And what about these witch dolls do I hear? Will they be sold on your site? If so, count me in for one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pregnancy? Oh my word! Congratulations!!!! Have I missed the news??? So happy for you. Hope all goes well for you and the baby and of course I'd love to see your baby knitting. Is it going to be a Scandi-baby gro perhaps? :)
    the photo with the kitten on your studio table messing around among the paint pots just melted my heart. gorge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitty is just too adorable! Love that photograph! :) Perhaps you can make your Halloween witch dollies cute AND wicked? If that is possible! I know they will be fabulous however you choose to create them.

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top