Here in Oklahoma, we're already seeing 90 degree days and there is now a state-wide burn ban. Oh springtime, why are you so fleeting? However, i am looking forward to making the best of the sweltering summer since I wont be so bone tired (I was so tired and pregnant forever, wasn't I?) and I'm looking forward to summer reading, knitting for fall, and lazy days of not having to get up for the school rush.
   A couple of weeks ago I got my new basket at the Jenks Herb Fair and I'm in no certain terms in love with it. I've seen these African woven baskets around for ages and always loved them, so I finally broke down and decided I'd give myself a little treat. Of course I wasted no time in filling it with yarn. And magazines. Girl's gotta have her Early American Life on hand, right? No time for Vogue or some other such silly nonsense ;)
   I also had an idea for a fun summer project that might last even longer--- a book club, or rather maybe a 'read-along' for us here at Audrey Eclectic! Since my girl is now such an avid reader (and little brother such a good listener when Sissy comes to read) I thought it would be fun to dig into my trove of favorite children's classics to read together. I love reading those old favorites again as an adult, especially to share with my own little ones. I thought perhaps we all might have fun reading and sharing together, any thoughts? I was thinking a perfect book to start with would be Little House on the Prairie, because I have very vivid summer vacation memories about this book. Its very tattered, and the librarian was going to dispose of it at my school, but let me have it instead. I took it home and began reading it and I was hooked on Little House right away. That summer reading was the start of a life-long love. And I'd love to spark something like that for Audrey. And thought maybe my friends here would like to do it too?
  Anyhow-- another bright and hot day here. We've been sprinkling seeds in the flower beds--- sunflower, zenia, all sorts of cottagey things. We've also started a bird habitat garden outside our large dining room windows that we're very excited about! I'll share more about that later--- but til then, let me know what you think about the Audrey Eclectic Read-Along. I think it would be fun!~
~H

10 comments

  1. Ohhhh how we LOVE to read at our house! Sounds like a great idea to while away the hours of the summer with a good book (well...and of course knitting too!!) :) We have probably read "Little House.." about a hundred times (and followed with the rest of the series...and then the OTHER series!!) but who can ever read it TOO much? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great basket!
    We are supposed to have 80 degree temperatures for the next few days...I'm enjoying Spring while it lasts : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to read along with you! I've been meaning to read that book to my kiddos and this will give me a good excuse to get it done. :)

    Also, I wanted to tell you that I found you through the give-away you did on Carrots for Michaelmas and I have fallen in love with your artwork. Several of your prints are pinned on my Wishlist board and I hope to buy one of your Madonnas when we move to our new home. Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, YES, count me in!!! We read Little House in the Big Woods last year and we've been meaning to get into Little House on the Prairie for awhile now!!! I was planning in doing it this summer anyway, you are psychic! Very enthused! Can you tell???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice & I are in!! We are just starting Little House on the Prairie. I have been waiting for years for her to be old enough to get into one of my favorite childhood books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your children's book club idea sounds like fun. Summertime has always been a great time for reading books and enjoying some timeless favorites! I do love that new woven tote you purchased. It is perfect for carting around various current projects and books. Coming home today from low 60s and windy during the day to 90 and getting humid. While I was gone, summer just came in and took over!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom just gave me my childhood set of the Little House books on my birthday. I'm really excited to re-read them this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes I have a copy sitting on the shelf! Very much in for this read-along! That basket is just beautiful by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Heather, I would very much like to be part of this little book club :)))

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top