Happy Birthday, Tasha Tudor!



         If you're a Tasha Tudor lover like me, today is a day to celebrate! This would have been Tasha's 99th birthday. The perfect occasion to have a little tea time celebration, enjoy the flowers, and find some time to "take peace" or "take joy", or whatever Tasha notion captures your fancy!


     Today when I opened up my copy of Tasha Tudor's Garden, I was pleasantly surprised to find a beautiful pressed autumn maple leaf, which I had picked up in the yard of the Tasha Tudor Museum in Brattleboro, VT. last autumn.
    What a fabulous day we had that day! Started the morning off at the museum with Emily and Alyson and met up with Patricia there. Thankfully, Emily and Alyson humored Patricia and I as we walked around squeaking and grinning and overall acting like a couple of fan girls. I wanted to buy all the Tasha things!!! Really, its probably best you didnt see me that day, grinning like a fool with eyes big as saucers. I was in "The Land of Tasha". And I was with great friends. It was, shall we say, marvelous! 


    Not many people out here on the prairie know about Tasha. But when I do find someone who does, its like finding an immediate kindred spirit. And my kids, of course, know all about Tasha. From taking naps to the soothing sounds of "Take Joy" or "Take Peace" playing on the tv to opening up the season's Advent calendar, Tasha is alive and well at our house!

   And as we celebrate "99", I can't help but eagerly anticipate "100"! I'll tell you a secret--- I'm longing for New England again. Especially now that Autumn is coming back around. I want to go back, and I want my family to come with me. We are dreaming of an epic family road trip....all the way up to New York to where my friend Patricia is, in Albany. I'd love to show Audrey the Tasha Museum--- and Robbie too, because he'll be a little bigger by then--- and share the beauty of that part of the country with Will. 
   So fingers crossed, stars aligned, and a prayer said that next year....we might find ourselves on another Tasha Adventure. We shall see!!!

  Til then, I'm thinking I'll make Tasha's meatloaf (Will's favorite!) for dinner tonight, and maybe snuggle up with Take Peace and knit. Yes....a total Granny dream day ;) I think Tasha would approve though!


  Of course on this special day, I'm not the only one celebrating! Be sure to visit the Tudor Family's blog "Rookery Ramblings" to see a collection of Tasha birthday posts from around the country and the globe! I can't wait to see all the other celebrations going on.

   Til next time, Take Joy!~
H

24 comments

  1. Happy Tasha Tudor Day!! Last year was wonderful- visiting the museum with someone else who felt the same way I do about the endlessly fascinating and wonderful Tasha Tudor was brilliant. :) And here's hoping that we are able to celebrate Tasha next year together for her 100th birthday in Vermont....Corgi Cottage tour! :) Enjoy your granny dream day today- we will be doing something very similar here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! I so so hope we can make next year happen and celebrate "100" together. Here's to Vermont and Tasha! Happy Tasha Tudor Day, my friend! :D

      Delete
  2. So happy to join in the celebration for Tasha Tudor's 99th birthday! Such a creative artist and such an amazing life she lived! I hope that next year you will be able to visit New England in the Fall with your family too! Tasha's holiday traditions were a part of my children's life when they were young and we all enjoyed her books together! Enjoy your day of all things Tasha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Winnie! I hope you have a wonderful day too! I am starting off with my first cup of Pumpkin Coffee for the season :D

      Delete
  3. The new issue of Yankee Magazine has a really good feature on Tasha Tudor. Now I have one other place to add to my "bucket list."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! A friend is sending me a copy and I can't wait!! :D You must get up to Vermont, its beautiful!

      Delete
  4. I loved your post, I have been doing the same knitting & reading. I have been celebrating today with my five year old twin girls, we have been very creative.
    Happy Tasha Tudor day from England.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to meet you, Michelle! I visited your blog and it is just lovely! Im so glad you got to stop by :) happy Tasha Day!

      Delete
  5. Happy Tasha Tudor day Dearest Heather!!
    What a wonderful day that must have been!! I completely understand the squeals of excitement you must have had!! I shall be doing the same very soon!! (Thrill thrill ..thump thump) (thats my heart..hee)
    Your plan sounds like a marvelous one and I hope it shall become reality!! :-D Family road trips are the best!!
    Enjoy the day!
    Many many Blessings, Linnie


    PS you should be a charter museum leader for your area!!
    Nod,nod nod..yep I think you should! Smile smile..
    http://tashatudormuseum.org/membership-and-giving/volunteer/society-chapters/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I hope you post all about your visit to the museum when you go! It is just wonderful to go and see all her things in person, the dresses...the artwork....her spining wheel and loom. All just treasures!

      Delete
    2. I Promise I will...and about the tour!

      Delete
  6. Hi, Heather ... hope you don't mind that I shared the link to your post on my FB page this morning; I enjoyed reading it and thought some of my friends might, too. Another FB friend, Cathy at http://cathy-morningmusings.blogspot.com/ hosted a gathering today to celebrate Tasha's birthday and discuss starting a Maryland Chapter of the Tasha Tudor Museum Society. Now I'm off to 'visit' Rookery Ramblings! Blessings from Alabama ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no I dont mind at all! That is so nice of you Sharon, thank you for sharing! And YES I just stumbled upon Cathy's blog not too long ago and saw her post about her garden tour. Hope you had a wonderful Tasha Tudor Day! :D

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday Tasha! To a lady who has inspired us so much, and reminded us of the importance of cozy art, a good meal, and family. Lovely post Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jennifer! You are so right-- she was one inspiring lady for sure :)

      Delete
  8. Happy belated TT day. How exciting to go to the farm. I am hoping to go one day. Autumn would be a great time to go!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it, and Autumn is the most gorgeous time out there. So, so lovely and lush with color. I long for it again!

      Delete
  9. Hi Heather. I love that you rediscovered the hidden leaf in Tasha's Garden Book. According to the Museum website there is a TTMS chapter in development for OK! It's a big state, so I hope it will be near you. I'm loving my new group and we've only just met the one time yesterday. One of the ladies is also a Susan Branch fan, so I'm eager to explore that connection with her, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didnt know there was an Oklahoma chapter forming! I'll check out the site and see where its out, that is fabulous! Wish I was closer to Maryland so I could stop by your chapter, you all have such fun!

      Delete
  10. Hi Sweet Girl!
    I'm a little late to the party but so glad the celebration continues:) I am now in Vermont mode, as the trip to the Vineyard has come and gone. I cannot wait for October to arrive...Fall in New England and Tasha's darling Corgi Cottage and Gardens and farm. I will be dying over everything as well...so don't feel so foolish...you are not alone!! Thank you for such a beauty-filled post!
    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christie, I'm so excited for you to go and see all the Tasha magic for yourself! Its amazing. And you get to tour the house!!! Ahhhh!!!! I cant wait to hear what you think of it!

      Delete
  11. Heather, lovely post! You did post this on the FB page for us too, right? I can't remember. I am hoping to get my post up about Bethany and all the dolls soon. So much to do so little time:-)
    Love,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to get the Tasha cookbook again from the library...oh heck what am I saying -- I should just BUYT IT!

    you blog is so full of autumn goodness, I'm so thrilled with it all!!

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top