Hi there, and hope you're having a beautiful Saturday! I started the day off curled up on the porch with a hot cup of coffee watching the baby as a nice spring rain come through. Those type of slow mornings are sheer perfection to me!
    Today though, as I type this from the dining room watching the rain continue to come down, I am sharing with you one of my latest commissions! This is a portrait of Tsar Nicholas and Tsarina Alexandra, the last royal couple of Imperial Russia. This painting was patterned off an old postcard illustration of the Romanovs, and I am pleased with how it came out! I think I might even make up some prints if anyone is interested.
 I've been infatuated with the Romanovs for a long time. I first read "The Romanovs: The Final Chapter" when I was 15 and was obsessed. It's sort of insane to think that was nearing on 20 years ago. WUT. Surely I'm not old enough to have been a teenager 20 years ago!?!
   Something about the story, the opulence, the close family, the bittersweet turn of events and the tragic ending captured my imagination. At the time I read it, remains of two of the children (Alexei plus a sister thought to be Anastasia) were not found in the grave, and so speculation continued to intensify that at least one of the children may have escaped. Alas, that was not to be.
   However, a few years ago, the entire Romanov family was declared saints in the Orthodox Christian Church. Also, Alexandra's sister, who had also married into Russian royalty, is also a saint. You can read more about her here, she's called "Elizabeth the New Martyr."

   This painting, obviously, focuses more on happier times when Nicholas and Alexandra were on their thrones (not to say that he didn't make some big mistakes as tsar. But he was, essentially, a kind man who was a good father and a devoted to his faith. He was (as many were,) -- a victim of his times and not equipped to handle the changes happening. But I digress---)
   There is just something so romantic about old russia (well, as long as you weren't a peasant!) the incredible arts, the majesty, the ancient and beautiful faith, the churches, they mystery of such a large and majestic landscape....it has captured my heart and imagination for many years.


     This painting is now in it's new home, living with another lover of the story of the Romanovs. Funny how they touch so many people. Their memory is indeed eternal!

   In other news-- I signed on for the Amazon affiliate program that gives blogs a small percentage from sales of items that are linked from a blog. That means, for instance, if you wanted to buy the Romanov book shown above and followed the link through my site, I'd get a small return from Amazon. This should work for any book/movie/etc I link from my blog to amazon. At any rate, I thought maybe it would get some a little paint and brush money, lol! So if you ever do that, thanks so much! :D

   Hope you have a wonderful weekend, and Blessed Holy Saturday to our Orthodox friends!~
H

2 comments

  1. I love this beautiful painting and story of the Romanovs!! Congratulations on your new contract with Amazon too. What a good idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Heather!! You truly capture something special in each and every painting that you do!!! This commission painting has all the elements that capture and bring Nicholas and Alexandra to a place of warm sentiment! It is really wonderful!!
    Many many blessings, joy and warmth , Linnie

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top