Behind The Paintings: Madonna of the Blossoms


      Hi there, friends!~
    I was thinking it was high time I did another "Behind the Paintings" feature, this time with a more spring-themed piece. Of course, that brought to mind one of my most popular ladies--- Madonna of the Blossoms.

   If I remember right, this might be my FIRST painted Madonna, but it's definitely one of the very first. This was another "first toe dip" into more religiously themed pieces, and I wanted to do something a little different than Madonnas I'd seen before.

   I chose a spring theme, with pink blossoms and roses in the background, set against a turquoise blue background, still one of my favorite colors to infuse into the scene. It's both vibrant and soothing.

   Of course when you think of Spring, you think of Easter, which is more of a Sacrifice/Resurrection image. To sort of allude to that, I've placed a lamb in Mary's arms. The baby, cuddled with the lamb, is sort of an encompassing of the beginning and end of the story of Jesus.

   I added lots of flowers and a flower crown to surround Mary though, to give her not only beauty but earthiness. Her expression is peaceful and reassuring. I try to make art that will give people peace and comfort and joy to have displayed in their home. And I hope that all of you who have purchased this image from me have felt this intention as you bring this piece into your home.

  This piece is also special to me because she's a 'cover girl.' It appeared on the cover of The Anglican Digest a few years ago on their Christmas issue. It was such an honor and such a pleasure to be featured there!

  Since this print is so popular, I now offer it in two sizes. The standard 8x10" print and a large, 11x14" print which makes a great focal point for a main wall or a mantle area. You can find both these prints in my shop now!

  Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a Blessed Holy Week!~
H

4 comments

  1. This is so beautiful, Heather, and I love your imagery of the newborn Baby Jesus and the sacrificial Lamb cradled in His loving Mother's arms...there at the beginning and at the end and on into eternity! Perfect for Easter. New life! Happy Easter! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I've got this print on my piano and have received more compliments/comments on it than any other print I've displayed there. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite Madonnas. I love the colors and flowers any time of year and it is the perfect print for celebrating Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so beautiful and indeed earthy,the flowers are the perfect touch! A very special painting!! :-)
    Happy Easter~Resurrection day, Joy to you and your family!
    Many Blessings Linnie

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment is appreciated! Thanks for coming to visit me :) ~Heather

Back to Top